One thing I am very passionate about is milk! Like where it comes from ? The quality ? What’s in my milk ?
A few reasons for this, and I think pretty darn important reasons!
Have you ever wondered how the cows keep producing milk.. well they are given a growth hormone to make them produce more milk, and those hormones are not your friend my dear!
They do get into the milk and they will mess with your sensitive hormone balance, which is essential for health, causing symptoms like acne.. skin problems, weight gain, digestive issues, PMS symptoms & too much estrogen in the body, which can lead to lots of different health problems in itself.
2. Gut Health :
When the cows are forced to continuously produce milk, they are prone to getting udder infections.. which will then be treated with antibiotics. These antibiotics can get into the milk, which is not good for our health, our gut health especially, it will kill the good guys (our good bacteria) in our intestines and this can lead to other health problems like IBS, skin problems, acne, allergies and weight gain.
The balance of bacteria in our gut is essential for our health. We need to take care of it.
3.Enzymes, Vitamins & Minerals:
The milk is heated to kill any germs, bacteria.. etc.. but what this does is also kill the enzymes and all the vitamins & minerals (destroys 50% of vitamin C ) in the milk too which is there for a reason! To help digest the milk.I This is one of the reason people may find it hard to digest milk and be lactose intolerant too, some people are more sensitive to lactose than others, some people can have a serious reaction, whilst others may be allergic but not have any symptoms.. This could however show us as skin problems, digestive issues in the future.
So what should I drink ?
There are many other options..
You could make your own nut milk. It’s easy. Trust me 😉
- Almond Milk.
- Brazil Nut Milk
- Cashew Nut Milk
- Pecan Nut Milk
- Macadamia Nut Milk
You get the picture.
- Raw Milk! It is out there, you may have to search online for it in your area.. Raw milk is unheated, (unpasteurized) milk with the its own enzymes! I know a few people who can’t tolerate pasteurized dairy but get along just fine with Raw milk. From Grass Fed Cows is even better as this will contain even more nutrient’s. Cow’s like their grass, they are not meant to eat grain and the Milk they produce will reflect this.
- Organic.. okay so unfortunately this doesn’t mean much in the supermarket.. it doesn’t mean that the milk won’t contain hormones or antibiotics, so… it’s up to you. May just mean the cows had been fed organic grain.
- Coconut Milk. Oooo creamy deliciousness, full of good fats. If you love coconut’s you will love this. (check the labels in the supermarket, that they haven’t added sugar, kind of defeats the object)
But what about Calcium ?
Okay so it’s actually been researched that pasteurized milk can actually leach the calcium from your bones!
ummm what ?
Yes. We’ve been drinking our milk for good strong bones.. just like we’ve been told, but actually because of the health depleting effects of pasteurized milk, one being the high acid load on the body!
In order to neutralize the acid, the body uses calcium. This calcium ends up being pulled from the bones and the calcium loss weakens the bones!
Check this article out for another look into the problem of milk.
I think I’d rather get my calcium else where like in :
- Leafy Greens – Watercress, Kale,
- Nuts and Seeds – Almonds,
So enough of my preaching! I can’t help it, Milk gets me all passionate! Especially when dealing with our hormones, and knowing how Vitally important the balance of them our for our health, our energy, mood, digestion, skin, libido.. list goes on and on.. but I think you get it 😉
- If you are interested in one-on-one Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching, please click here.
- For more healthy living top tips and delicious recipes visit me on Facebook , follow me on twitter, subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow me on Pinterest.
- Or if you are interested in getting started on your own Health Goals and Weight loss journey with a one-on-one consultation contact me at www.hookedonhealth.co.uk